Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Once On This Island

Well. Nothing could surpass Twilight. However, the other day Kim and I had the opportunity to go to West Jordan High and see....ONCE ON THIS ISLAND! Yayaya! Yeah. I had never heard of it before we went and saw it. When I googled it, this is one of the first things that came up:



Now. I ask of you. What part of this looks like a musical that a UTAH High School could do? I mean, I am not trying to be like all wierd here, but seriously. We just don't have the proper soul to pull it off! It brought back memories of when Jordan High School decided to do Aida, and I was like "Aida!? WTF, do they know that they are a High School in the middle of Sandy Utah?!" But, you know, whatever, we went to be supportive so that is cool.

Of course, the entire cast was white. As expected. This is not really a problem when you own it and embrace it. However, they all spoke with Jamaican accents...so you know. That was cool. Anyways, I think that I was HIGHLY spoiled at Cottonwood. We generally had a really good cast, a great set, a big stage, and talented people. I feel bad blogging about this, but the lead in this play, could not dance OR sing. It was...terrible. The worst was there were girls in the chorus that we could hear had a better voice! I don't know, it was all very confusing.

Beneath the terrible High Schoolness of it, however, was a good musical that I had never encountered. I did actually enjoy it, and it was a fun story. The music is something that I would like to find so that I have it. It was also very much fun to hang out with Kim. Between both of our lives, we do not have a lot of time to hang out together, so it was quite the treat:




So that was much fun.

Tomorrow is Thanksgiving! yay! It has been nice because I had today off, and I have the rest of the week through Saturday off. Well. I work Friday for 2 hours, but that is not bad at all. Overall, it is a much needed break. We are having a partay for Katalinas 1st Birthday on Saturday. All are welcome!!!!!! As for now, I'm out!

2 comments:

Carly said...

I'm jealous i live so stinkin far away now. that looks you had a good time. your guys are so cute

Anonymous said...

At first I thought you had written West High School (sans Jordan), and I was going to protest that if any Utah High School had enough soul, it would be West. But West Jordan is as milquetoast as Alta. (sigh)

Yes, flaunt your Cottonwoodness all you want. We hoi polloi made do with what scraps we could.